The XDG launchers used in most Desktop environments don't have the ability to
use shell expansion ($ variables or ~). So you need to specify the full path.
Most GUI tools to create a launcher will have a file selecter that you can use,
and you might notice that after selecting your file it inputs the full path.

You *might* be able to set a "working directory" in the launcher, and then just
specify the name of the file you want to execute.

There might be variables available per the XDG specification, but I can't
remember what they are. I'm pretty sure there is a syntax to specify the user.
-Ben