For reference, here's the document that defines what you can put in those
launchers:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#exec-variables

Looks like you either need to specify an absolute path, or make sure the app is
in a folder specified by $PATH. Most DE's and even some window managers
implement XDG so this is distro agnostic.
-Ben