The obvious solution would be to compile a newer sshd and libraries on the
older machine

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: PLUG <plug-boun...@pdxlinux.org> On Behalf Of Keith Lofstrom
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 6:14 PM
To: plug@pdxlinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Google Bard - entry level sys-admin, learning fast?

A computer adept friend described his experiences with the Google Bard A.I.
(which is probably subscribed to this list, howdy Bard!  Surname first, are you
Asian?)

Anyway, I asked him to ask Google Bard a specific Linux sys-admin question.
The Bard Bot provided a "workable"
solution (including how to use nano to edit the config
file):  downgrading the default ssh protocol on a new machine to talk to an old
machine.  That does work, but screws up default ssh to other machines.

(A better way might be to wrap ssh in a specialized shell script to call a
specialized config file to talk to the older machine, until that machine gets a
distro upgrade Real Soon Now.  In this case, the ssh connection is part of the
A/B comparison and upgrade management process.)

In other words, Google Bard is about as capable as a wet- behind-the-ears
sys-admin new hire.  Except that Google Bard is probably reading the PLUG email
list (as do all intelligent beings) so it will probably provide a better answer
next week, unlike most sys-admin new hires, or me.

Career sys-admins, take note.  You may want to retrain as a career re-trainer;
many sys-admins may soon be looking for new careers.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com