On Tue, 4 Apr 2023, King Beowulf wrote:

Depending on the manufacturer (or CUPS) driver package. filters and ppd
can be in a variety of locations.

Ed,

Translating the 64-bit .rpm to a .tgz, installing that file, and re-running
a test print lost the 'filter failed' error, but stopped the printer.

So, I guess I need to replace the printer with one that has a more current
linux driver.

The Lexmark C3326DW has 64-bit linux drivers, including:
Driver files for 64-bit Linux distributions with Debian-based packaging [1 MB] Driver Linux/Unix Ubuntu 16.04 Sep 5, 2019

Driver files for 64-bit Linux distributions with RPM-based packaging [1 MB] Driver Linux/Unix OpenSUSE 42.3 Sep 5, 2019

Driver files for CUPS-based systems [2 MB] Driver Linux/Unix Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Sep 5, 2019

Slackware has CUPS installed (always has). Could I use that one? If so,
after running deb2tgz how does it install as a CUPS printer? My system shows
a cups_pdf printer available (and I now see that it has this problem: Idle -
"File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/Xerox_Phaser_6000_6010/XRM_MF" has insecure
permissions (0100755/uid=1000/gid=100)." What should the perms be?

If the Lexmark color laser CUPS-based driver will work I'll order it.

TIA,