On Thu, 20 Apr 2023, Russell Senior wrote:

Without looking it up, passphrase is the encryption that protects the
private key on the client system, so that the super user (or others able to
read files) can't just read/copy your private key.

Russell,

Since the only two external servers to which I connect have my public key, I
don't need it locally. Yes?

If in the future I'm away from my office and need to check mail or get a
file from my server (salmo) my risk of using my password rather than my
passphrase should be low.

The advice suggested by the internet is to check /var/log/auth.log on the
server side (caddis) to see why it's rejecting your connection.

Slackware has no auth.log since it's not on salmo or caddis.

I'll disable password authentification on both hosts and try to connect
between the two hosts.

Thanks,