From: PLUG [mailto:plug-boun...@pdxlinux.org] On Behalf Of Russell Senior
Sent: Tuesday, August 1, 2023 1:06 AM
To: plug@pdxlinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] wikis breaking on updates (was: Re: Upgrage Breaks
MediaWiki - why?)

On 7/31/23 23:15, Ben Koenig wrote:
> The longterm success and/or failure of any software project comes down to the
> maintainability of the codebase. Projects with good, clean codebases get more
> love because the cost of contributing is much lower. Given how many big
> projects use moinmoin I think it's safe to say that nobody has bothered to
> fix it because it's a hot fucking mess.
The wikipedia entry says "a steamed or boiled bean pudding".

I think what actually happened is that v1.x achieved a kind of stability and it
basically didn't change for a decade and the people who knew how it worked kind
of wandered away. It was only the abandonment of python2 that has led to the
"crisis". There has been a slow moving effort to build a v2 of MoinMoin, but
it's reportedly not ready for production, or wasn't when I looked last (again,
about a year ago).

--
Russell Senior
russ...@pdxlinux.org