On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 4:06 AM John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 22:26:42 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> dijo:
>
> >On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:55:57 -0700
> >Keith Lofstrom <kei...@keithl.com> dijo:
> >
> >Re Debian 12 Hookworm
> >
> >Just for kicks I downloaded the Live Xfce ISO and burned it to a small
> >USB 3.0 drive. I may see what happens if I try to install it in
> >VirtualBox. Meantime I'm trying to find out details about it,
> >specifically its potential snapitude, and a few other things.
>
> I spent two hours trying to get Virtualbox to recognize either the
> optical drive or a USB drive where I had installed the Live Debian 12
> ISO that I downloaded. I finally succeeded at getting the virtual
> machine to use the optical drive, although I failed with the USB drive.
>
> Once I finally got the Live OS to boot there was an 'Install Debian'
> icon, so I clicked on it. That popped up an error message that
> 'Calamares' (the install program) was not executable. There was a
> button to make it executable, so I clicked on it and things progressed.
> It finally got to the end of the questions and answers and presented a
> summary of what it was going to do in the install. I looked all over
> for a button that said 'OK' or 'Continue,' or anything to move on and
> let it install the OS, but there was no way to get past that point.
>
> C'mon Debian people, don't you test this stuff?

I don't see that installing from the Live OS is the recommended path
for installing Debian. The netinst method is one of the recommended
installation methods.
https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
This downloads a minimal install image that then allows you to choose
other packages that get downloaded and installed after the system is
installed enough to have network access.

Bill