I don't remember about debian, but ubuntu either doesn't install
openssh-server or doesn't enable it by default. That should be all you
need to do on either one. On machineA:

  sudo apt install openssh-server # make sure the openssh-server
package is installed
  sudo systemctl enable ssh # make sure the ssh service starts on reboot
  sudo systemctl start ssh # make sure the ssh service is running now

Then from machine B:

  ssh machineA

It will probably prompt you to accept a new "host key" for machneA.
It's okay to do that. Let us know if you run into any trouble with
that.

After that works, we can move on to fun things like ssh keys.

--
Russell