>Let's start with a micro model.
<snip>

i was waiting to see if anyone noticed that michaels well thought out micro
model has two fundamental flaws.

flaw #1: "ex nihilo"
in the first model, the word processor was created with time and effort.  in
the second, OSS model the word processor was effectively created "out of
nothing".

flaw #2: "zero sum game"
the difference between the two models is that in the first, the landscaper
has no job.  whereas in the second, OSS model, bill the developer has no
job.  the cited advantage of the second model is that there is extra value
because a yard was landscaped - but as flaw #1 point out, the extra value is
because software magically appears ex nihilo.  this makes the model a zero
sum game.

the first model and the second model are effectively the same, the only
difference is in who loses their job.

another way to look at the model - imagine that a bunch of people donate
their time to go around and landscape peoples yards (eg. FLF - the Free
Landscape Foundation) instead of writing free software.  just because it's
free doesn't mean that someone, somewhere didn't have to 'pay' for it by
investing time and effort.

but this brings up the *interesting* point - the interesting point that
michael makes is this:

"once software is created, it is effortless to *reproduce*."

now *that* point is worth exploring...

oh, and if we can manage to use another fancy latin phrase, that be great
too. ;-)

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org