If you mean the natural progression of the thread from one topic to
another, that's not hijacking because there's a common history that
unites the messages. Remember that email header torriem mentioned
Outlook ignores?

No, that's not what I meant. See below.

If you mean changing the subject line displayed by your MUA, updating
the subject line is considered good practice when the topic has clearly
transitioned from the old topic to something new. Although the
sub-thread is clearly distinct from the parent, it is still appropriate
to display it as a child of the parent because of related messages in
the sub-thread before the subject line was updated.

I couldn't agree more. I felt like the topic was different enough however that he should have started a new thread.