Michael Torrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Forgot to mention that hydrogen injection (using electrolysis) is not
> using wasted electricity in most cases.  It actually does demand more
> energy from the engine, since load on the power system translates
> directly to load on the engine.  However the increase in energy output
> from the engine for the same amount of fuel makes up for this "loss."
> The best analogy I can think of is the turbo charger.  Turbos consume a
> fair amount of power, but that increase in power they cause more than
> makes up for them under ideal circumstances.

Turbos don't generally increase efficiency, though, at least not by a
great deal.  A turbocharger creates an exhaust restriction, which, due
to thermodynamics, can't be completely compensated for by the intake
acceleration it provides.  This will somewhat lower the efficiency of
the engine, since it saps a bit more power to expel the exhaust during
the exhaust stroke.  The turbo adds a lot of power gain, though,
because when it's not pumping out the wastegate, it allows a
greater-than-atmospheric pressure in the intake manifold, which means
more combustion, more fuel usage, and more power.  During cruise,
though, the manifold is in some degree of vacuum and the turbo isn't
really helping.

If efficiency gains are seen after adding a turbo to an engine (and
they sometimes are), you can probably chalk them up to a more
efficient engine control map than the factory one in the non-boost
area or perhaps more time spent with the engine operating in a more
efficient power band, thanks to the extra power available.

                --Levi