"Matthew Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I ask then... If I can't vote for either candidate that 'can win', what am I
> supposed to
> do? And don't say that I should vote for one of them anyway. There is no
> lesser of two
> evils here. They are both absolutely abysmal choices, and I will /NOT/ vote
> for either
> one of them.
>
> Should I not vote at all? I don't think so. So what do I do? Complain loudly?
> Grab a
> torch and pitchfork?
>
> No, I think I should do my patriotic duty, and vote for who I believe will do
> the best
> thing for this country.

I don't think anyone said that you aren't allowed to vote for someone
you know doesn't have a chance of winning.  If you really don't have a
preference between the viable candidates, it doesn't matter if you
don't vote for one of them.  Regardless of who *you* vote for, one of
the viable candidates will win, but your vote won't have directly
helped to determine which one.

There is nothing inherently patriotic in voting for someone who has no
chance of winning, especially if you write them in.  It's an empty
act, meant only to soothe your own conscience.  No one knows (or can
verify, if you tell) who you voted for.  If your candidate really had
enough supporters for the strategic voters to make a difference in
pulling off a successful election, the candidate would be a viable one
and the strategic voters wouldn't have to pick someone else.

As a side note, and contrary to popular opinion, voting does not grant
the right to complain about the government.  That right is inherent in
our right to free speech and assembly, and you have it whether you
vote or not.  So, don't feel compelled to vote if you don't have a
preference between the potential winners.  On the other hand, it
doesn't hurt to vote for a sure loser if you've got no preference in
the real race, but don't try to frame it like you're doing some great
and noble thing.

People get very emotional, and even religious about this stuff.
Emotion and religion won't change the mechanics of the voting system
we've got, though.  It's the system we've got, and you've got to work
within its limitations if you're going to work it effectively.

                --Levi