"Matthew Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Not to long ago, I read Starship Troopers for the first time, and it
> got me thinking. I don't know if we need to go as far as they did
> (Only those who have served in the military being able to vote), but
> I have moments when I think that a good chunk of the modern
> population should be banned from voting, because of how little they
> know about the issues that they are voting on.

Well, that was supposed to be the point of public education.  I really
don't think serving in the military would make for a sufficient civic
education, either. Public education has since been somewhat subverted
into preparation for entering the workplace instead of the civic
community.  The ideal worker is quite a bit different from the ideal
member of the civic community.

Anyway, banning a good chunk of the modern population from voting
might work pretty well, but it's certainly not in line with the
principles of democracy.  How happy you end up with the result would
probably depend on who wrote the 'voting competency' test. :P

                --Levi