Thus said Von Fugal on Thu, 04 Dec 2008 10:25:00 MST:

> I don't want to  drag this out, (and I do think we  should return to a
> gold standard) but I was merely  stating facts and not really making a
> case for the gold standard.

I think we should  return the business of making money  back to the free
market, which  is, after  all, where free  people conduct  business. Why
shouldn't the  participants choose their  own medium of exchange?  If it
turns out to be gold/silver, then so be  it, but the point is to make it
free again. In Constitutional terms, Congress was tasked with fixing the
measures and  weights (i.e. defining  a dollar  as a specific  weight of
silver). 1 dollar = 371.25 grains of  silver. Much like 1ft = 12in. That
was all that  it needed to do, and  all it should ever have  to do. Even
then, it's  debatable whether or not  it is desirable for  government to
have anything to do with  money, except ``protecting'' against the theft
of it.

Andy
  9:28pm  up  3:28,  2 users,  load average: 1.15, 1.13, 1.16