Daniel C. wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Barry Roberts <b...@robertsr.us> wrote:
My question is, does ANYBODY use HDMI for that?  My receiver has 2 HDMI
inputs.  But if you want to hear the audio with that, you have to use coax
or optical as well.  All it does is switch the HDMI output.  Nothing
(receivers, TV's, etc.) that I've found can use an HDMI audio signal and
pass it along.  My TV will pass along a stereo version of the audio out from
the HDMI inputs to its coax output.  That's really handy.

Clearly I am uneducated because I don't see what DRM has to do with this.

I'm reasonably sure HDCP is the reason I can't just plug HDMI into my receiver and have it play the audio. It couldn't then pass it along. Same for the TV. My PS3 can put a nice 7.1 audio signal out on its HDMI, but my TV only gives me stereo out. So I have several devices with HDMI, and every single one has audio cables right beside it. It's retarded. False advertising, IMO.

Barry