On Oct 27, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Andrew McNabb wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 03:13:31PM -0600, Steven Alligood wrote:
>>
>> Don't expect your ISP to smile and be happy that you are using more
>> resources than you are paying for.  Go put a server into a data
>> center
>> like Center7, Fibernet, or even Xmission, and pay the rack, power and
>> bandwidth charges for what you actually use, and everyone will be
>> more
>> than happy to help you run whatever you want to run.

Not true, try setting up a spam bot, or a porn site. There are lots of
local datacenters that won't let you do that. But you are right, they
are more willing to help you use large amounts of bandwidth.

> If you're paying for unlimited bandwidth, you can't possibly use more
> resources than you are paying for.  It's a syllogism or something. :)
>
> If ISPs don't want customers to use massive amounts of bandwidth, they
> should set clear and fair policies.  This would require striking the
> word "unlimited" from all marketing materials.

Since when has "unlimited" ever meant unlimited. You have to remember
that there is always a little asterisk that has some caveat in it.
Webhosts do it all the time. Look at Blue Host, they offer "Unlimited"
bandwidth and Unlimited disk space, but if you use more that their
threshold allows, then you are moved to a server with all the other
hogs, and all of a sudden your site is crawling slow. That's why I
never trust anyone that says "unlimited" anything, AT&T is another
example of that, my data plan is "Unlimited" but you better believe
that they get after you when you use too much.

Realistically would you buy bandwidth from a company on a per MB or GB
basis? That's why people use the marketing with "Unlimited" in it. My
bandwidth for my servers doesn't come as unlimited (as much as I would
love that).  I pay for each and every MB that I send and receive. It
wouldn't surprise me if ISP start changing the way they charge... Our
Internet bills will start to look like power as gas bills, all based
on usage.

Dallin Jones