On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 13:52, Chris <plug....@2nerds.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Robert Merrill <robertmerr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> One way to enforce this may be to simply restrict
>> EVERYONE's home network usage if one person proves to go outside
>> prescribed and pre-agreed boundaries
>

> That technique is used to great effect in military boot-camp-type training
> scenarios.  When one grunt screws up, the entire squad/platoon suffers the
> punishment.  The technique can be a powerful motivator as long as everyone
> involved is a rational actor.

We had one particular screw-up in our platoon at Basic Training that
didn't care about how many push-ups he had to do.  Then one day one of
our drill sergeants made him watch while the entire rest of the
platoon did about 200 push-ups.  This happened again the next day, and
that night he "fell down the stairs". When he got back from the sick
bay (sporting some wonderful bruises and about 40 stitches) he was a
model citizen.

Everyone involved is not always a rational actor, and even an
ostensibly loving sibling can be pushed beyond the limits of his
patience.

--
Alex Esplin