I'm currently researching this also.

I'm using a script on the shared kids desktop computer to log them out after
their alloted time is up.  It works ok, but I could never get timekpr to
work on Fedora, so I'm just using an old bash script.

I'm looking into adding some UbuntuCE packages (dansguardian, etc.) to the
kids computers and setting up an ipcop+advproxy/ipfire/
smoothwall router to keep them from staying up all night and surfing the
web.

I've had dansguardian on a WRTSL54GS with packetprotector, but it was slow,
dg was a little flaky, and the last time I upgraded it (hoping to get
time-based restrictions) I think i killed it.  So I'm taking an old computer
and making a router out of it.

If anybody has any experience with which of the router distros are the best
for a concerned parent, I would like to hear your experiences.  I've about
decided on ipcop with advproxy.