Sorry just trying to gauge the market here, but what ought a person
with significant experience and skill expect from a paycheck now days?

I haven't even tried to look for work in Utah or Utah County in
several years, (except for a part time stint to keep me sharp while I
waded through pre-reqs at school).

My last job was in the low $100k range, but that was with HP in
Washington, I'm pretty certain the market here doesn't support that
price point because the talent pool here is so much wider.

Nevertheless I'm working on my PHB or err MBA to try and give me a
competitive edge and I'm proceeding at break neck speed.
I figure that the MBA combined with my B.S. in Comp Sci & 10 years
experience in programming, administration and IT consulting ought to
make the job hunt a little easier.

Since I'll probably be hitting the market sometime in the next 90 days
or so, it's time to start thinking about what to put in that salary
requirement field.

What should a Senior Programmer or Senior Software Engineer with
extensive Java experience (including SCJP), expect to make around
these parts?

Also are there any employers willing to work with continuing
education?  After the MBA my next step is JD or eJD, not because I
have any desire to practice law, but because I think it's extremely
important that we understand all of the laws that effect us, so that
we can proceed to innovate with extreme caution.  You'd be surprised
how often you can think some idea would make for an awesome piece of
software, only to create it and end up having your butt handed to you
by some regulatory agency or another.

Here's a tip BTW, never try to roll your own automated trading
software or if you do, keep it to yourself and don't try to market it.
It's evidently viewed by the SEC with the same displeasure as a gold
farming bot in WoW, I can elaborate if anyone is really interested,
but let's just say dealing with federal or state regulatory
authorities has a lot in common with trying to pass a kidney stone.
It's extremely painful and when you finally finish you end up
wondering what it was all for ;)