On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Robert Merrill <robertmerr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Ryan Byrd <ryanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Isn't that the same crapola as people comparing self-taught programmers
> > university CS graduates? Who would you rather hire? Does college training
> > make a difference? Discuss.
>
> Of course, it's the spectrum of colors that makes things worth seeing,
> but if I had to say one or the other, I have to accept that college
> training *does* make a difference, but not always in the intended
> ways, and there are trade offs.
>
> <snip>
>

> Long answer, but my summary here is that the DEGREE hardly matters in
> the long-run, but can be somewhat of a predictor of what kind of
> engineer someone will be.  I think good hiring decisions are always
> based more on "what very hard problems have you solved and how" rather
> than "how much student loan debt do you have". :)

Your summary is verified by lots of sources.  One that I remember from a
while back is from Michael Robertson (of Linspire, MP3.com, and Gizmo5
fame).

(College isn't for Everyone)
http://www.michaelrobertson.com/archive.php?minute_id=257
(College Myths)
http://www.michaelrobertson.com/archive.php?minute_id=263

Lots of other sources seem to verify it too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=college+education+myth

I'm sure just as many sources can 'prove' the other side.

   Joel

Disclaimer: I have a college education (a BS in CS from WSU).