This has been an interesting thread. It has also made me realize I might be
rather naive when it comes to UPS systems. I have worked with APC power units
in a data center and I have only used APC battery backups on my home systems.
Where I live the power goes on and off quite often, but rarely for more than 30
seconds. Because of this, I have never bothered looking into or configuring the
auto-shutdown type features of a UPS for my home equipment.

But with so many comments here and other places that this thread caused me to
look makes me wonder...

What features do you look for when you purchase a UPS?

I have a single Battery BackUPS  ES 550. I have my server, my workstation, one
workstation monitor, and my router plugged into the UPS. It will allow these
devices to run for about 10 minutes without power, so it is plenty sufficient
for my needs, or so I think...

But as Keith said, lightning season will be here soon! Don't all home office
(read: cheap) UPS systems operate basically the same way? What should I be
looking for?

--

Regards,

Nathan England

NME Computer Services http://www.nmecs.com
Nathan England (nat...@nmecs.com)
Systems Administration / Web Application Development
Information Security Consulting
(480) 559.9681