From: Joshua Fenio <std...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?
To: "Provo Linux Users Group" <plug@plug.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 9:27 AM

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM, keith smith <klsmith2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree with Daniel.  The Gov has no business in the economy period.  The
> Federal gov is supposed to be very limited.  The biggest responsibility of
> the Central Gov is defense.

 Huh?  The federal government certainly has _some_ business in the economy.
 It's right there in the enumerated powers.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts
and Excises, to pay the
Debts<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxing_and_Spending_Clause>
..."
"To borrow on the credit of the United States"
"To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several
State<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerce_Clause>
s"
"To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin"

Look, you can certainly state that the legislative branch's interpretation
of these enumerated powers is mistaken, or just plain wrong, in some
instances - and I'd agree.  But to say the federal government has no
business in the economy, period, is provably wrong to anyone who has
actually read the U.S. Constitution.

You can't just repeat stuff over and over and convince yourself that it's
right.

Now, should the federal government be LESS involved in the economy?  That's
certainly a more than fair argument and interpretation.