From: Lonnie Olson <li...@kittypee.com>
Subject: Re: Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?
To: p...@ryansimpkins.com, "Provo Linux Users Group" <plug@plug.org>
Date: Monday, June 10, 2013, 11:34 AM

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Ryan Simpkins <p...@ryansimpkins.com> wrote:
> Did Mr. Snowden do the right thing by disclosing PRISM and similar programs to
> the world, or did he violate the trust of his employer, government, and fellow
> countrymen by reveling secrets that aught not to have been reveled?

Intelligence gathering and secrecy are extremely important to
maintaining the safety of our country.
However there are limits.  Sometimes and rarely there are times when
the practices
and/or laws of government are not acceptable.  These are the cases
where civil disobedience
are necessary to start changes in laws and government.  We can see in
this interview
that Snowden carefully thought about this problem and decided that these actions
crossed the line.  I personally totally agree with his decision.

Yes he violated the trust of his employer and government, but he
retained the trust of his fellow
countrymen.  In my opinion every citizen has a responsibility to do
what is right and
even commit civil disobedience in these rare cases where it is necessary.

As to the matter of prosecution, yes he should be prosecuted.  He
broke the law, and
it is a consequence of civil disobedience.  However it shouldn't be
death.  His actions
did not endanger any lives, and only brought to light the practices of the NSA.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Nathan England <nat...@nmecs.com> wrote:
> While it may not be appropriate for
> this list, I have to say, I think with the removal of Jesus Christ from
> society and a
> capitalist system that has largely forgotten God altogether, I don't know
> that this
> country has any real ethics anymore.

Ethics are not dependent upon a god.  Ethics can and should be derived
from science
and logic.  By the way, even the basic idea of Ethics did not come
from a god, and
especially not Jesus Christ.  The term comes from the Greek word ethos, which
means "character", long before said Jesus Christ was born.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Nathan England <nat...@nmecs.com> wrote:
> Personally, I think gitmo should remain open. We may need to expand it a
> little . . .

Guantanamo Bay is another perfect example of abuse of power, and unethical
actions.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM, keith smith <klsmith2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are taxed at a higher rate, it is just hidden.  We may pay less in income
> tax, however we are taxed at almost all levels.
>
> Look at your utility bill, phone bill, cellular bill...etc.  When I was a kid
> sales tax was 4.5% now it is close to 10%.

Sales tax and these other taxes you mention are collected by and for
completely different organizations than the Federal government.
Conflating them is completely dishonest when talking about the federal
government.

Also, if you want to lower taxes drastically, you must accept that
there will be cuts to government provided services.
What do you want to cut first?  Defense, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM, keith smith <klsmith2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Marriage is a Christian concept not a Government concept.  Therefore the Gov
> should not be in the marriage business.  I do not care what gays do.  However
> I believe they should not marry in a Biblical sense.  If they want to
> co-habitat go for it.  Civil unions go for it.  I will not be a party of such
> stuff.

Um, No!  Marriage is not a Christian concept.  People have been
getting married long before Jesus Christ was around.
Even if you want to classify it as a religious concept only, then are
you willing to pay increased taxes for a long period
of time in order to support the effort to modify hundreds or possibly
thousands of laws, paperwork, etc.  Marriage
is so deeply entrenched in our society and government that it is next
to impossible to remove it.  It would be far
easier and less difficult to rebrand religious marriage differently,
if you truly care about keeping them separate.