On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Dan Egli <ddavide...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So you think the days of PGP/GPG are dead? I am not sure I could agree with
> this idea. Although it's true that many people don't bother signing
> messages with crypto keys anymore, I tend to still think there's some usage
> for GPG and it's cousins, even in email. Part of the problem has always
> been that people don't want to take the time to either manually sign the
> message (which can be a pain) or setup a utility that will let them
> automate it. If we could get past that laziness, I think there would be a
> huge resurgence of interest in PGP/GPG.

I do not think the days of PGP/GPG are dead. In fact, I still use GPG for
signing private message. I just do not both with trying to sign email
messages anymore. As I mentioned earlier I sign and pass messages these
days with keybase.io (using GPG) or sharelock.io.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The problem is the barrier to entry
and use. Even for Linux geeks like us, using encryption takes time and
effort. For people who do not live and breathe this stuff, the prospect of
using crypto is daunting. Services like KeyBase and ShareLock might just
help take the edge off. Above that, in order for crypto to truly be adopted
by a larger community, people need to see and understand the benefits. In a
world where people (many that I know personally) do not think twice when
putting confidential information into their plaintext electronic
communications, convincing people that there is a need to be more security
minded is a tough sell.

Laziness and ignorance are both key factors.

David, here is a private message just for you:

https://sharelock.io/1/OP9olOh7B0tLY36xjUVRNjBA65q8AcmwtoFxYRXfXRQ.Ngal_6/nMETVK6Z4kJoTxrnm0NWYbJQfJOAEjfz67zRjIOt8HZDTmZstZ/XGV_l2BbydDNb-Q6bzqgujb8B9b-7RpREDwnNsuQIjBY5Q-nJY/GH6flQp2NKv_sqyBsns9h6WMoI1uolaTiyy8-91aG6YOyq_iJo/_f97ZUTkuqx4O8bpmf3gQ9P0-WL5UmM0JJDD58YfvUj1xMMQpQ/gvgUdhpRH987maH9eD9-SLUn04AQ.ZG0D606gxkXjoUFvhFwzi/g