On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 10:23:07 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescur...@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> I have just upgraded my desktop from debian 9.x stretch to debian 10.0
> buster. When I run apt update, I get this error message:
>
> Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit -.mount
> is masked.

More information.

1) This does not appear to be a problem with packagekit, but with
   systemd. Removing packaged from the system appears to have solved the
   problem for apt, but not for apache.

2) After trying many possible fixes, I finally rebooted. That appears
   to have solved the problem. Indeed, it appears to have solved a
   problem which *shouldn't* be related, an inability of HPLIP to find
   my printer.

<rant>Systemd is turning out to be the kudzu of Linux. It egregiously
violates the Unix precept of "do one thing and do it very well."</rant>

<rant>It should not be necessary to reboot to solve Linux
problems.</rant>

Thank you.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but