mecouc Wrote:
> I listen to Radio 4 programs I've missed mainly. There's lot's of great
> comedy, drama, science, arts, news etc. there. Radio 4 is the one thing
> I couldn't live without if I left the UK. I'm terrified it'll disappear
> as pressure mounts to do away with the licence fee.

Sometimes I wish that the US would institute something similar. There's
a real dearth of quality radio programming here, with NPR being the last
bastion.  But I suppose I have to respect that the trend seems to be
away from radio these days.  I wouldn't want to force the public to
fund something that they don't find valuable.

mecouc Wrote:

> I suggest you look at the BBC web site for an overview
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/
> Stations are linked on the left. On the right, there's a list linking
> to programs by genre, eg Blues & folk programs from all stations listed
> together.

Haha...just went to check it out and thought "what is he talking
about?".  But then saw that their site was feeding me the
"International version" of the page.  UK version made it all better.

mecouc Wrote:

> For example, on the radio 4 page, there's a menu on the left which
> lists programs by genre:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4
>
> For another example, there's "Revolting People", a comedy cowritten by
> a Brit and an American set in the American revolution.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/revoltingpeople/
>
> BBC7 broadcasts mainly oldies, comedy & drama, plus I think some new
> drama.
>

> Programs are generally only available online for one week after
> broadcast, or you can listen to live output.

Great!  This is really useful information.  It would appear that Radio
4 is right up my alley--matching my current NPR listening tastes.  But
I'm always up for branching out and discovering new things.  I've had
my bedroom squeezebox on loan to a friend for a couple of days (ever
since posting this original message) but just got it back today and am
looking forward to giving the BBC a listen tonight.

--
azinck3