bpa >>> 'Choppy' covers a few things.  First, listening to BBC4FM, there
are little pops and clicks in the stream - tiny breaks that clip off a
consonant or a syllable in a word;  but not enough to interfere
seriously with intelligibility.

Then there are much rarer breaks of a few seconds, when the stream
stops and restarts - this might happen once or twice in half an hour,
and then not at all for ages.  But eventually, the stream just stops,
and does not restart spontaneously.  Pressing 'play' restarts the
stream, as if from scratch.  Such losses of connection happen at
unpredictable intervals:  4m35s; 22m04s; 6m44s; 11m46s; 7m12s;
30m17s...

The above issues seem to apply only to AlienBBC live streams.
'Listen Again' seems much better.  And other internet radio (e.g.
ClassicFM-London,UK) seems fine, as does wireless playing of my own MP3
files.

After you raised the matter of signal strength, I had a look at the
wireless signal in the Player section of 'Information' on the SB.  I
found that this was very sensitive to position and orientation of the
SB (in the conservatory downstairs) and of the wireless modem/router
aerial (3m-4m directly above in my office upstairs).  Altering these
even slightly could change the reported wireless signal strength from
around 65% to nearer 90% (so I went for the latter!).

I'm very grateful for all the thought and time you have put into
this.  Perhaps I just need to experiment for a while, and not take up
any more of your time.  (I may finish up just moving a digital radio
into the conservatory!)

Very best wishes.

--
Diana