PasTim wrote:
> This is all very strange stuff.  I struggled as well, and came to a
> different set of working conclusions.
>
> allow 5353/udp in from my device (see
> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202944)
>
> Plus other generic incoming settings for UPnP and other protocols for
> other music servers.  This includes 80 and variable ports in the 30000
> to 60000 range.  I don't have 5000/5 or 6000/5 open.  I don't limit
> outgoing tcp/udp/.

Sounds like you've opened some of the dynamic ports in the 30000 to
60000 range, where you may strike lucky if your server frequently reuses
the same dynamic ports.

Airplay doesn't need port 80 and should need anything uPnP although some
routers can do intelligent port forwarding - I avoid this as you never
know if the ports get shut again.

My work around allows the dynamic traffic by working out the route from
the reverse, know the fixed destination that the receiver uses
(6000-6005 and 5000-5005). I limit to only the protocols I know are
required. I prefer not to have a swiss cheese of a firewall where I can
avoid it!