philippe_44 wrote:
> I've added a dev version 1.2.0.1 which is a bit more aggressive wrt to
> 'raw' PCM utilisation. Basically, when using 'pcm' transcoding and
> receiving a compressed format, it will try to use 'raw' even if the
> sample size is kept to source and sample rate kept to source ot "No
> higher" is set.
>
> It does that by asking LMS the *original* source file's sample rate &
> size and trying to see if the player would accept these (if the no
> higher option is ticked, it will try that for the maximum rate, not the
> source file's one). If the player accept these, it's a go.
>
> Now, the actual rate and size are only known when the audio data is
> received, so it will tell the UPnP player, in the initial "play" request
> that it will receive pcm, but details are still unknown, which seems to
> be accepted by all my players so far. Then, when starting to send the
> actual data, it tell in the HTTP header the real rate and size.
>
> The issue is if you do transcode in LMS to a *higher* sample size & rate
> (C3PO for example) than the file's originals and these rate/size are not
> accepted by the player, playback will fail at the late stage. Seems to
> me it's an acceptable trade-off but now I need to know if UPnP devices
> widely accept this "pcm will be sent but unkown details at this time"
> play request.
>
> As a reminder, if sample rate and size are set to fixed values, none of
> these potential problems will happen.
I'm not sure I really understand this, sorry. It's just getting too
complicated for me.

I have tried some tests on my Marantz.  It doesn't seem to accept 'raw'
at all (I don't think it ever did).  However, something odd is
happening.

If I set it all to wav 96000 and play a 96000 track, 'No Higher' off,
all is well - the log says it plays at 24/96000.  If I play a 192000
track it claims to be transcoding from 48000 to 96000 (C3PO is not
enabled).
If I set 'No Higher' and play the 192000 track it says it's playing at
48000, no transcoding, but I get no sound.
If I play the same 192000 track on my M1, it plays at 192000 and doesn't
need to transcode (that rate is supported).

I assume that my Marantz is saying 48000 is its max rate (that's what
the manual says - wav 16/48000) and LMS gets to hear about it and is
transcoding itself, or else the information of the log is not what I
think it is.

All a bit of a puzzle.  I can get things to play, so it's not a problem,
but I don't understand what is happening.

LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.10, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps.  Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) &
Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC
renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 17.10 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.