mherger wrote:
> > With my LMS at 40410 all the station played OK for me with a clean
> > install of PLayhLS v2.
> > I updated LMS to latest 40437 and I now reproduce the problem.
>
> Any idea what might have broken it? Would you know what your old
> revision would have corresponded to in git or timestamp terms?

The problem is due to the change supplied by maniac103 29 April 2019
Slim/Formats/Playlists/Base.pm

I think I have a fix for later version but not sure if I can have a fix
that works for LMS both pre and post 29 April and testing for LMS
"version" is not enough.

I'm not sure if the problem is whether I have not been "complete" in my
HLS implementation or whether the patch is based on a simplistic
knowledge of radio streams.

However I'm not happy with my current fix and I need to spend more time
understand what is happening in LMS and what the change has done.  I am
wondering whether the current patch should have allowed a "handler" to
have input in determining whether the stream is a playlist or not. When
I have done more investigation I'll be more certain.

Normal radio streams are playlist which can have a number of URLs each
of which can be a different audio format.  The audio format can be
determined either form the URL or from headers.

HLS streams have a Master playlist and then a Media playlist and then
the actual playlist - so it takes a few GETs before the audio type of
the stream can be determined and only from the stream content  (i.e.
MP3, AAC-ADTS, AAC-MPEG2, AAC-MPEG4) and not headers. To handle this
situation the plugin uses scanStream which is little used but handling
of stream which cannot be determined from initial headers. I'm not sure
if this is part of the issue.

HLS is a not an audio formats like "pls" but at the moment my fix
requires a "hls" (defined as a playlist type in custom-types.conf ) to
have conversion rules (in custom-convert.conf)  that will never be used
since the ultimate audio format will be aac or mp3.  This seems wrong so
I am looking for a solution that seem more correct.  Separately but
related, for Tune-in to return "hls" streams and "hls" audio type needs
to be defined so there is a need for a dummy "hls" audio type to defined
with rules that will never be used.

HLS streams are provided using m3u8 URLs. The m3u8  URL that should be
played is known as the master playlist which provides audio format and
bit rate.  However many users provide the media playlist m3u8 URLs so no
audio format and bit rate.  Rather than reject the user provided URLs
the plugin uses the stream content to determine audio format and this
seems to be common practice as some HLS broadcasters have incorrect
Master playlist compares to actual stream.