Good that you found a solution.

You needn't have copied and renamed sox - you can use "[sox]" instead of
"[wavin2cmd]" and LMS will search all its "Bin" path for sox.exe and
should find it in the main LMS Bin path.  That'll make it easier for you
to maintain  - just need keep a copy of the custom-convert.conf file if
plugins get re-installed

AFAIK When plugin was written sox, ffmpeg, vlc  etc. all were very
limited on Windows and a custom application was needed to deal with
"Stereo Mix" input even VAC was not around.  Now there are many
alternative solutions (e.g. streamwhatyouhear).

The original author posted the plugin and left it as is.  After a LMS
update broke the Perl part, I did the small maintenance update but
otherwise have nothing with it as I don't use Windows and nobody else
seemed to want to maintain it but every so often someone needed it.

There are quite of a few of these "orphan" plugins now as there are
fewer users who develop/maintain. This is a community project - if you
feel the plugin needs to be updated - create an updated version.

I am not a Tidal issue but IIRC it has been investigated. I thought the
main problem is Tidal can't/won't supply a MQA stream on the API LMS
uses.