bpa wrote:
> You haven't answered my questionb aboitu UK .non Uk.
>
> 1. All the metadata stuff is generic - it can be obtained no matter
> where you are or what access is used.  It doesn't really come from the
> streaming part of their systems.
> 2 If  plugin is trying to the playing UK only station menu and you have
> a VPN for non UK - you'll have problems.
> 3. BBC ( actually their CDNs such as akamai or limelight ) play
> whackamole with non UK access trying to access UK via VPNs.
> 4. Can you play BBC live/listen again radio stream via a browser ? on
> ordinary PC ? on LMS server ?
> 5. Can you play UK only BBC Podcast from any device through your VPN ?
>

> So unless you make clear what your setyup is (i.e. is it a VPN service
> or a provate personal/corporate VPN,  what is the VPN doing with normal
> internet, is it a real VPN or just a smart DNS - it is hard to give any
> hard advice.

Apologies for not being clear, and your comments have definitely helped
me trouble shoot this a bit

- this is a home Win 10 Pro 64 bit PC with a standard off the shelf VPN
- Cyberghost (I have also used IPVanish with similar problems)

- I tried the following two URLs in VLC. VLC also works only when the
VLC is disconnected
-
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8
-
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/uk/dash_full/ak/bbc_radio_two.mpd

- I spoke to the VPN provider and they say URLs provided as exceptions
to be bypassed by the VPN only work with web browsers, and not other
apps, so there we have the problem.

- I am in the UK, and I'm using a UK VPN. The VPN is meant to get around
BBC iPlayer by playing whackamole, but that doesn't seem to work for
this.

- I guess I just have to find a cleverer VPN that has split tunneling
whereby you can exclude apps from the VPN, but I can't find one that
does that with Windows, only Android. If anyone knows of one, or just
one that works with LMS and i Player then I'd love to know but that is
probably for a different thread/forum.

Thanks very much for your help