pettifoggery wrote:
> No, I'm just a user. I don't have any interest in it beyond hoping that
> it can survive and thrive. With the root of my enthusiasm as much if not
> more for others than myself. I like it because it's so simple that even
> my technically inept mother can set it up and play whatever she wants
> from her mobile phone. My mother (like all of my average Joe relations)
> doesn't have a huge album collection. All she wants is something
> reasonably simple and nice looking. LMS is great software but it's just
> too complicated and confusing for many people.

I had not heard of Volumio before this post. I do like to keep an eye
out on what is available to compare with LMS but so far have not found
anything as versatile.  Besides the current active development, the
level of community support is outstanding. I understand that there may
come a point when the plug is pulled on any development, but that could
equally apply to Roon, Sonos (witness the issues Sonos have had
recently), or for that matter, Volumio. The first post in this thread
suggests that LMS is ahead currently due to the plugins available. I
would agree. On that basis, why change? Surely you need to lobby the
Volumio developers for additions to the system - they have a vested
interest to maintain development, particularly if they are also seeking
subscriptions for additional services.

LMS caters for collections large and small. There are a number of users
who have a huge collection of albums - astonishingly huge! LMS handles
these with ease, and with the recent implementation of the Material skin
fresh life has been breathed into the system.

I guess it boils down to horses for courses. The fact is, LMS gives the
hobbyist plenty of opportunity to tinker with the system and get
involved with something which is not necessarily reasonably simple!