pettifoggery wrote:
> I hope you’ll forgive me if this question is a little provocative or
> enraging, but why do so many developers continue to concentrate their
> app development on LMS rather than Volumio? This is a genuine question.
> I genuinely don’t understand why Volumio isn’t attracting developers to
> the same extent as LMS.
>
> Is it because LMS was there first? Is it the community, familiarity,
> investment in LMS? Is it a lack of time and the hassle of learning how
> to code for Volumio? Or is Volumio off-putting for some reason? Perhaps
> concern about Volumio’s longevity. Or some irksome coding complexity. Or
> maybe a less welcoming community.
>
> I know that LMS and Volumio aren’t like for like, and I’m not suggesting
> that LMS doesn’t have a place in the 21st or that developers should up
> sticks and relocate to the Volumio camp. It’s just that it seems to me
> that Volumio has a more concrete and vibrant future. Perhaps because its
> simplicity makes it easy for anyone to get started in just a few
> minutes. Volumio’s setup is a breeze. Anything I connect to it works
> out-of-the-box. And with no need for a server I can use any old NAS or
> even a USB stick for my music library. Volumio is so simple and reliable
> that even my mother can use it. I don't know if I'm a typical of those
> who are using both systems, but the only thing that prevents me from
> going 100% Volumio are the 3rd party LMS apps.

I had never heard of Volumio before this post, so there's that.  But I
think you answered you own question to a large extent.  For me, I am
very fond of the LMS community and my development of Squeezelite-X is
like gardening.  It's just a very satisfying pastime.  The community is
very nice and super appreciative of what the devs do because everyone
knows we are volunteering our time.  That said, I went and took a quick
look at the Volumio website.  So maybe I'll dig a little deeper and see
what's there.  I'm not sure I understand their business model yet, but
it looks like its core open source, but if you subscribe you get a few
extra features and plugins.  That might be a bit of an issue.  Why would
a dev make a plugin/app for them to make money on, or what if he/she
made a free plugin that competed with one of their subscription-only
plugins/features?  They probably would not approve it.  As for LMS
longevity, I think its prospects are very solid with such a mature
product and an army of users and devs.  And no one to say, hey I'm not
making money on this, lets shut it down, or I'm not approving your
plugin because it undermines my business model.  Maybe there is an
opportunity making a Windows 10 client like Squeezelite-X for it. (not
sure yet).  I'll be looking into it.

R Greg Dawson

Squeezelite-X