>> Apparently the Synology shell is something of a virtualization layer
on top of the actual OS.

Yes, sort of. The user-interface for Synology DSM runs on linux. It's
not a virtualization layer as such, but just a user-interface on top of
regular linux. In the case of my Storage Manager, it does provide a bit
more insight than smartctl, but that's probably because Synology
developed other tools to manage the raid array. They call it "SHR -
Synology Hybrid Raid", which is like regular RAID, but allows different
types of disk, and volumes can grow/shrink.

>> Do note that RAID 5 is a three disk configuration, so one of your
disks must function as a spare. Does SSM tell you which one is which,
i.e. which one is the spare?

Actually that's not correct. Raid-5 has one-disk redundancy, but there
is no concept of a "spare". Think of it like this: There are 4 disks in
the array, all are equal to each other, and when a file is written to
the array, the parity is calculated, and stored alongside the file, and
it's distributed across disks. Then, if any one of the four disks fails,
a new disk is inserted, and all the missing files are reconstructed, one
by one, based on the parity.

>>verify this behaviour with the Duet

Now I can't because I no longer have a Duet. I had one for years, but
recently sold both on ebay. I have replaced the Duet with my Raspberry
Pi.
I can say for sure that this issue does NOT exist with the SqueezeLite
running on piCorePlayer on the Raspberry Pi 3B+. I tested it again
yesterday, and it ran all day with not a single hiccup.

>>That implies that the problem is on the client side, not the server.

Yes I agree. I also used the Synology LMS for years with the Duet, and
also never saw an issue like this. That's why I presumed that this is a
windows-specific client-side issue.
I also re-ran tests on BOTH my windows machines separately, and both
have the same problem with audio dropouts, and the exact same behavior
too.
1. Dell XPS-13, Core i7 6th gen, 16GB memory, windows home.
2. Asrock Mini ITX, Core i7-8700K, 16GB memory, windows pro.
For both machines, the behavior is the same:
* Interruptions happen every 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes, almost exactly
these time-intervals
* The interruption always lasts for 30 seconds, and then resumes.

>>Do you have active drive mappings to the Synology on the Windows
client?

Yes, the Synology is running Samba, and both windows systems have
drive-mappings to the Synology over Samba. I don't see how this could
affect the behavior of the SqueezeLite, because it doesn't talk to the
Synology over Samba.

>> If after some time (probably about 5 minutes or so) you see a red X
appear over the mapped drive

Good suggestion, but I confirmed that there is no network outage. I know
that when you unplug the ethernet cable, or reboot the NAS, I would see
those "red X" showing that the drive-mapping had become disconnected,
and when the connection is restored, you only need to click on the
drive-mapping, to reactivate it. That feature works as expected, but in
this case, there is no network outage. That is, when SqueezeLite loses
audio, I can immediately navigate to samba shares, and the network
connectivity continues normally. I have examined both windows and
synology systems during the outage, but everything is normal. Thus we
can say that the SqueezeLite client is the only cause of the outage.

But since it's hard to reproduce on another Windows system, we still
don't know that for sure. There could be some weird routing issue with
my LAN on which these 2 machines sit, but I don't know what that could
be. It could be some weird Windows thing but what? The right way to fix
this, is to debug it on my machine. I'm not set up with Visual Studio,
but I could set it up and do a debug session, if we exhaust the basic
options.

Separately, I'll reply to ralphy and test the new build he put up.
John