foopydog wrote:
> >> Do note that RAID 5 is a three disk configuration, so one of your
> disks must function as a spare. Does SSM tell you which one is which,
> i.e. which one is the spare?
>
> Actually that's not correct. Raid-5 has one-disk redundancy, but there
> is no concept of a "spare". Think of it like this: There are 4 disks in
> the array, all are equal to each other, and when a file is written to
> the array, the parity is calculated, and stored alongside the file, and
> it's distributed across disks. Then, if any one of the four disks fails,
> a new disk is inserted, and all the missing files are reconstructed, one
> by one, based on the parity.

The only four disk RAID configuration I know of is Raid 1+0, aka RAID
10, which combines striping with mirror. RAID 5 distributes disk blocks
in a 2/3 ratio across three disks, meaning that (unlike with RAID 1) no
disk holds a complete copy of the data. A bonus is that this improves
disk read speed because the data must be read from two disks. A fourth
disk is always a spare with RAID 5, but I guess that a smart controller
might rotate the roles on a regular base to get the best out of disk
life time.

PS something that most people tend to overlook is that the disks entered
into a RAID configuration are usually the same brand and size and also
bought at the same time, thus with a high probability of being from the
same manufacturing batch and consequently with a high probability of
failing around the same time. RAID is not a substitute for backups and
you wouldn't be the first one to lose a substantial amount of data on
account of a second disk failing during RAID reconstruction.

> >> If after some time (probably about 5 minutes or so) you see a red X
> appear over the mapped drive
>
> Good suggestion, but I confirmed that there is no network outage. I know
> that when you unplug the ethernet cable, or reboot the NAS, I would see
> those "red X" showing that the drive-mapping had become disconnected,
> and when the connection is restored, you only need to click on the
> drive-mapping, to reactivate it. That feature works as expected, but in
> this case, there is no network outage. That is, when SqueezeLite loses
> audio, I can immediately navigate to samba shares, and the network
> connectivity continues normally. I have examined both windows and
> synology systems during the outage, but everything is normal. Thus we
> can say that the SqueezeLite client is the only cause of the outage.

Actually, you would see this behaviour when you create a drive mapping
between two Windows workstations (10/8/7 - non server). It's a sort of
OS license-/resource saving mechanism of the workstation that acts as a
`server` to forcibly close the connection if it hasn't seen any activity
on it for some time. When you click the deactivated mapping it instantly
reconnects, but of course if you have something more vital going on like
a database connection, that will have been broken and the application
will need to be restarted. We see that issue a lot on tiny businesses
(<5 computers).