PasTim wrote:
> I tried this. I set the genre to just classical.  All my classical music
> has 2 genres, one classical, and one the genre within that.
>
> It doesn't return anything when I select library views. I'm probably
> being very dim, but I'm baffled.
>
> Still, assuming I got this to work at LMS menu level, what fields do I
> look for in the database to run my custombrowse menus?  I have 22
> Classical music menus, and several non-classical, all dependent on the
> library. I'm willing to do the work, but how?

If you need help understanding how to define and use virtual libraries I
suggest you create a separate thread for this, the people that can help
you might not read my plugin thread. I can’t help much myself since I
haven’t actually been using the functionality myself.

Some people use Custom Browse to browse custom tags scanned with Custom
Scan and for these the built-in virtual library functionality wouldn’t
be enough without some coding since advance search functionality can’t
be used to define the library. The following thread indicated that there
might be some work going on to handle custom tag scanning and browsing:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?113201-Genres-moods-themes-and-styles

Letting Michael and other community developers know what’s missing in
the virtual library functionality (in a separate thread) is a good idea.
Even better if people could let them know how it can be improved to
cover the functionality needed to be able to replace Multi Library and
Custom Browse plugins. The disadvantage of Multi Library and Custom
Browse plugins has been that due to their flexibility some users have
been able to customize the browsing to their needs instead of requesting
feature improvements to the standard browse menus in LMS. Some of the
functionality provided by Custom Browse and Multi Library today would
also be a lot easier to implement in latest LMS release due to the
changes introduced together with virtual libraries under the hood.
Knowing Michael’s time is limited I suspect functionality missing that
isn’t easy to add to the core would have to be handled in third party
plugins also in the future, but a new small actively maintained plugin
providing a specific feature would be better than a gigantic unsupported
plugin trying to do it all.

Custom Browse plugin would be able to use built-in virtual libraries in
theory but you would have to define the SQL/XML for each menu level
yourself so I doubt it would be worth the effort considering the Custom
Browse plugin also is going to break soon or later. If you still want to
try the SQL/XML route the database tables for virtual libraries was
defined in database schema version 19 and 20:
-
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/8.1/SQL/SQLite/schema_19_up.sql
-
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/8.1/SQL/SQLite/schema_20_up.sql
You would have to join with these tables instead of the multilibrary_
tables.
However, as mentioned, it’s going to be a lot of work if you want to
create a full menu structure.

Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User_Erland.html)
*Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets* ('see
here for more information'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?49483-Announce-New-versions-of-erlands-plugins&p=998836&viewfull=1#post998836)
)