Well indeed both of those details were worth investigating.

1) ngrok can be run as root by simply including the path to the yml
configuration file with the --config option, e.g.:

Code:
--------------------
    ngrok start mediaservertunnel --config=/home/tc/.ngrok2/ngrok.yml >
/dev/null 2>&1 &
--------------------

I guess the script could have that option included in another variable,
but for a standard pCP user who has carried out the authorisation as
user 'tc', that /home/tc/.ngrok2/ngrok.yml file is fixed.  This option
means the whole section of the script that determines which user is
calling ngrok is redundant.

2) It is quite simple to create your own .tcz package that just includes
the ngrok executable, to be placed in /usr/local/bin/, and to have this
package loaded at boot.  The result is that ngrok is available in the
user's executable path without taking up any space in the user's backup
and without the need for an extra mount point.  So since it's now in the
path the startup script doesn't need to point to a specific copy of the
executable, so

Code:
--------------------
    $ngrok_exec start mediaservertunnel --config=/home/tc/.ngrok2/ngrok.yml >
/dev/null 2>&1 &
--------------------

becomes

Code:
    ngrok start mediaservertunnel --config=/home/tc/.ngrok2/ngrok.yml >
/dev/null 2>&1 &

I could detail this process for the pCP-specific setup instructions, but
I think it would be simpler to ask one of the pCP guys to make ngrok
available in the standard repositories so that it can be installed like
any other extension.  I'll make a request in the 'pCP7 thread'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?113512-ANNOUNCE-piCorePlayer-7-0-0).