Hi - I wondered if there were any insights as to the vol slider and
mouse wheel config.

I've found an odd intermittent issue when my mouse wheel is clicked up a
single detent it accelerates the vol slider rather hastily to 100%. This
often makes for rather a heart-stopping moment!
If I reverse wheel click it shoots down to 0%. This is the same in FF
and Chrome. I think it may be something to do with window focus but am
not sure.
Other times one moves the pointer over the volume slider and the wheel
moves the vol gradually as expected. The wheel works fine in other apps
i.e. it scrolls a few lines at a time.

The "mouse" in my case is actually a Logitech MX Ergo trackball and the
Logi applet wheel options are Smooth Scrolling and Direction. I
discovered that if I disable "Smooth Scrolling" then the slider works
normally. I can't find any description of exactly what it's meant to do,
nor how.
How does the vol slider interpret "smooth scrolling", or Logitech's
version of it?

FWIW Windows' mouse settings has the wheel motion set to scroll multiple
lines, 3 at a time but changing that seems to make no difference to the
slider op.
Anyway I'm disabling Smooth Scrolling for now and will monitor the
situation.