You said > a bit "expensive" in terms of lookup time.

Would this massively increase the traffic to Allmusic to an extent where
rate limiting might apply?

Lookups are relatively slow, as you can see from the artwork lookups. Some aggressive caching would be required to not look up the same data over and over again. Genres typically don't change much over time :-).

The other problem is integration with music services: I don't want the music service metadata provider to rely on MAI being installed. I'd need some other means to hook in there.