The issue I raised pertained to one very specific use case:

-On desktop I'm viewing "Expanded now playing", right-click the artwork
and select "Go to artist". This collapses now playing and displays all
albums by the artist. I then click the "Go back" arrow in upper left to
exit out to "Music sources" view, but instead it goes "back" to the
expanded now playing view where I started.

The problem in this specific use case is that there is no way to get
from the display of that artist's albums up to the top of your library
("Music sources" or "Home"): something that under almost any other
circumstance you'd accomplish by pressing the "Go back" button. There's
no "Home" button -- which would enable the task -- visible here even
with that option enabled. I understand it's not as elegant a UI
convention, but can the Home button be made visible, if enabled,
whenever you are away from Home?-

In the end, I was not suggesting any change to the "Go back"
functionality.  Instead, I requested that -- if "Show home button" is
enabled in Settings -- the Home button appear any time you are on a page
other than "Home" ("Music sources").  There is reference in Settings to
a "long-press on the back button" functionality, but that does not seem
to work nor is it as intuitive as is the remainder of Material.  Sorry
for any confusion.  Thanks.