Phil Meyer;209922 Wrote:
> >How have these tags been entered in the mp3 file?
Actually, they are WMA Lossless files.  I did not enter the tags
manually, I use Windows Media Center to rip my CDs, and occasionally
use Tag&Rename to retrieve tags when WMC can't find them ... so one of
these tools (most likely, WMC) is doing it.  Interestingly, I tried a
little experiment ... used MP3tag to enter multiple ARTIST tags on one
track, and when I saved the file MP3tag removed all the redundant
ARTIST tags (including ones that were already there) and just left a
single one in the metadata.

> I believe that SlimServer doesn't currently support multiple artist tags
That may be so, but the behavior I reported ragarding how SlimServer is
displaying the information, seems to suggest otherwise.  I am running
SlimServer 6.5.3, just upgraded two days ago ... maybe they've made a
change to the code?

> I enter my multiple artists all in one ARTIST tag using a field
> separator character ";".
Seems like the smarter way to go, if you are entering (or editing) them
manually.  I'm not keen on manually editing my 9500+ tracks, though ...

> Library/Artists looks like it lists album artists to me, whilst
> Server/Artists lists albums that an artist appears on.
>
> Eg, in my Library/Artists/Brian Eno list I have 9 albums, but in
> Server/Artists/Brian Eno I have 25 albums, which includes his
> appearances on various artist albums, with Fripp & Eno, Cluster & Eno,
> etc.
I see similar behavior, with the exeption of those files that include
multiple ARTIST tags.  Just curious, on those other albums where Eno
appears, is he listed as an ARTIST or as a COMPOSER?  I took a look at
an album where Eno appears (David Bowie/Heroes) and noticed that Eno
was listed in the COMPOSER tag, not the ARTIST tag.

Eno is a good artist to use for this example, as he seems to show up
everywhere :-)

--
Jon