whitman wrote:
> Grebg, thanks for this, very good to hear of your experience.
>
> Have you ever tried iPeng on MacOS? M1 Macs will run some iOS apps, and
> my laptop will run iPeng, though it seems to crash with some streams
> (but not others).
>
> Anyway, my iPhone SE (2016) seems OK on battery usage with iPeng, as
> does my iPad mini 4.
>
> I can't see an obvious way to tell what actual quality (96/24 or
> whatever) iPeng is shoving out the headphone jack at any point.
>
> Good advice on trying the cans without a DAC for now, thanks, and I like
> your suggestion of the 90 vs 10 balance. My new Grado SR80X arrived
> yesterday, so I've been digging in. Much fun!
>
> What DACs have you tried and liked? The miser in me would be interested
> in less expensive ones!

Chiming in again.
iPeng with a dongle DAC will go to 24/96 but I’m not sure whether the
onboard DAC goes beyond 24/48.
The Dragonfly has an LED that changes colour based on the stream bit
depth. If I listen via it - it will mostly be green (16/44.1 local FLAC)
but will change to purple (24/96 Qobuz FLAC).
I also have experience of some other dongle DACs eg HiFiMe DIY Sabre
which are much cheaper. These don’t have as much volume which is an
issue with an iOS device but they can be boosted when used with a Pi
using Alsamixer. No LED though.

Jim
https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* Joggler & Pi4/Khadas  -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s

*Office* Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
*Dining Room* SB Radio
*Bedroom (Bedside)* Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom* SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s +
Kef ceiling speakers
*Guest Room* Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes