Partially, I solved the problem. I disabled all plugins and enabled only
CustomScan, CustomBrwose, TrackStat, SQLlist, DynamicPlaylist. After
that I tried to play a random song playlist on the jazz genre (600
songs) in three different ways:
1. Via the standard Slimserver menu (Genre -> Jazz -> Play. It took 10
seconds before the first song started to play. Apart from this "slow"
start-up, everything worked smooth.

2. Via DynamicPlaylist. Random by Genre (created as you indicated in
one of the previous posts) -> Jazz -> Play. No problem at all: it took
only a second before the first song started to play. No strange
interruptions anymore...

3. Via CustomBrowse. Genre (created under CustomBrowse) -> Jazz ->
Play. It takes about 30 seconds before the first song starts to play.
After that the remote freezes for minutes or is hardly responsive. I
reinstalled CustomBrowse but that didn't help.

Any idea what may cause this?

--
RoyE