Tried using the subversion and rc2 source downloads (copied into
Applications/mplayer and ran ./configure as per the Readme file).  It
didn't work - got this log / error:

james-cheshers-imac-2:mplayer jameschesher$ ./configure
Detected operating system: Darwin
Detected host architecture: i386
Checking for host cc ... gcc
Checking for cross compilation ... yes
./configure: line 1503: gcc: command not found
./configure: line 1530: gcc: command not found
./configure: line 1536: ./cpuinfo: No such file or directory
./configure: line 1537: ./cpuinfo: No such file or directory
./configure: line 1538: ./cpuinfo: No such file or directory
./configure: line 1539: ./cpuinfo: No such file or directory
./configure: line 1540: ./cpuinfo: No such file or directory
./configure: line 1542: ./cpuinfo: No such file or directory
Checking for CPU vendor ...  (::)
Checking for CPU type ...
Checking for mtrr support ... auto
Checking for GCC & CPU optimization abilities ... CPU optimization
disabled. CPU not recognized or your compiler is too old.
error
Checking for extern symbol prefix ...
Error: Symbol mangling check failed.

Check "configure.log" if you do not understand why it failed.
james-cheshers-imac-2:mplayer jameschesher$ pwd
/Applications/mplayer
james-cheshers-imac-2:mplayer jameschesher$

I also tried making a directory /usr/local/bin as you suggest, but
amazingly (as I'm the computer administrator) permission was denied...
any suggestions?  Or should I wait until you've had a look at the dmg
file?

--
chesheja