So the Silabs chipset is not widely available in other dongles - it
seems only in the reference implementation.  I found very few FM USB
dongles. Radioshark is good although no RDS,  it has AM as well as FM.

The SC call "getMetadataFor" as part of a protocolhandler is used to
return all info that can be displayed on the Squeezeplay & Web devices
and use SetCurrentTitle for SB3. So it is easy to feed info in
realtime.

I have a plugin called TunerPlay for Windows. I developed a Linux V4l
version of it but didn't finish it as DAB, DVB-S, DVB-T radio seem to
more in demand than FM and users have developed generic HTTP server
interfaces for these.

--
bpa