rickwookie;447190 Wrote:
> I think what my problem is is that I'm possible not using the EOD action
> for the purpose it was intended. I'm mearly using it as an aditional
> idle timer, but with a much shorter time out to the 'daytime' one.
>
> During the day I want my server on most of the time, since I have to
> wait over a minute to start it (still can't get it to wake from S3). So
> I set the idle time-out to about three hours, so it only shuts down to
> SqueezeNetwork if I'm really not using it for a good while. However,
> it's unlikely that I'll want to play something at 1am unless it's a late
> night session or party, in which case the system won't be idle at that
> time. I use the EOD action to shut it down at night with a much shorter
> idle time-out (10 minutes I think) so that if I finish listening to
> music at midnight for example, the server won't waste energy hanging
> around until 3am to shutdown. It's for this reason that I don't want my
> shut-down server to wake at midnight.
>
> Maybe the custom EOD action could be a completely different thing (that
> will be woken for, although I still tend to think that that should be an
> option), and instead you could put an 'Economy7' type mode in the
> standard idle timer so that the user could define two time periods with
> two different idle time-outs. Day and night prefs if you like.
No, no, your use is a perfect use for EOD and I agree that it ought
function to serve your purposes exactly as you've described them.  My
attempt to make the EOD action function a couple of different
ways...specifically to support the "end of day chores" model that I've
described above, wasn't thought completely through.

Here's my proposed *initial* change:

At regualar idle time-out, SrvrPowerCtrl compares the EOD action
setting against the pending regular idle action: if they are the same,
then no wake-for-EOD will be scheduled.  If, however, the EOD action is
a custom script, or if it differs from the pending idle action, then
wakeup for EOD will be scheduled.  This much can be accomplished without
having to add another pref setting and I think it should serve your
purposes.  The only limitation here is that you'll have to be careful to
set the EOD action to equal the regular idle action to avoid EOD wakeup.
If the regular idle action is set to suspend and the EOD action is set
to hibernate, then wakeup will occur.  I ought to have programmed it to
function this way from the start.  Thanks for prompting me on this.

I'll post here when I've got this code up and you can let me know if it
serves your purpose.

--
gharris999