I think 500Mhz processor might be borderline to decode AAC and re-encode
into Flac particularly if the processor does not have floating point
support.

Try playing this 128k AAC stream - radio Paradise
http://www.radioparadise.com/musiclinks/rp_128aac-2.m3u

> If I disable aac filetype then will my ITunes library play ok?

Not sure what this has to do with BBC feeds - the AAC filetype is NOT
the setting to change when dealing with BBC.

It is generally not a good idea to disable a filetype.  I'm not sure
even what you mean by disable AAC filetypes - there are usually 4
settings WAV, PCM, MP3 and native - which ones are you disabling ?

--
bpa