results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73237
Question: What do you think about "touch-to-play-album" for
cover art in iPeng?

- I use this and like it.
- I don't use this and it disturbs me
- I don't care

DaveWr;502569 Wrote:
> Well ideas inspiration maybe, my last programming was in 1982 in ASM86
> and PLM86 (original intel 8086 programming tools, assembly language and
> basic high level stuff.  Prior to that as an electronic engineering
> graduate Fortran and Coral 66. Then I became engineering management /
> marketing & strategic business management.  So new coding stuff a bit
> tricky.
>
> So if I want to learn Perl - where do I start.  I should at least take
> a look at the options, you never know I might even like it.

> but what if I am sort of serious.  Perl looks complex.  Probably a
> programers dream, how much can I do in one line sort of thing.
>
> Sorry for being OT, but I do not have a clue where to start an
> assessment.

A good place to start is:
http://learn.perl.org/

Another tip is to start with some simple plugin and modify it for your
needs, for example the "Remove Played Songs" plugin which does some work
with playlists:
http://www.koldware.com/SlimStuff/RemovePlayedSongs-2.3.1.zip

You probably need more help after you have looked at this a bit. Let's
not hijack pippin's thread for this, instead I'd suggest that you post
in the "Developers" section of the forum if you have more questions and
someone will be able to help you.

If you have done some programming, have some time and are willing to
learn you have a good start. I think people, like myself, who is used to
Java or other more modern object oriented languages are more frustrated
with perl than people who don't know any modern object oriented
language. It is a bit messy and before I know Squeezebox Server I
thought perl was just another way of writing shell scripts and not a
language anyone use for applications. Many sources on internet mainly
show examples of perl usage in small shell scripts so this is something
that's good to be aware of when you search for information. The syntax
is more or less the same when it's used in applications, it's just
packaged in *.pm files instead of *.pl files.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))