Thanks Wirrunna,

I actually was running the MiP GUI for years, until I was forced to use
SBS shortcuts and ran into this issue.  I switched to MiP headless to
see if that would solve anything.  It didn't obviously.  I'm either
missing something really obvious, or something is seriously messed up
with my system.  I've done complete uninstalls and reinstalls of both
MiP and SBS, many many rescans etc.  Currently I just have a portion of
my music in SBS and MiP is working nicely (as long as I don't use
shortcuts).  I just don't have my whole library in there.

It's not the end of the world, I was just frustrated that it didn't
work.  I find myself using SBS (and my Duet) less and less as SBS
stability heads downhill.  MiP, and serving music at work, was really
the only reason I use SBS anymore.  While I think it's absurd that SBS
doesn't have the capability to add multiple paths to a library (I
believe it's the first piece of software I've found with this
limitation), I'm not quite ready to blame the issues I'm experiencing on
SBS.  I love what MiP does, but it is perhaps the buggiest piece of
software I've ever used.  I'm also not confident that I'm doing
everything properly as many people seem to have this set up working just
fine...

--
Ultraviolet